Who We Are
Blueberries New Zealand Inc. (BBNZ) represents and seeks to further the interests of the New Zealand blueberry industry.
Objectives of BBNZ include importing new genetics for growers, export market access, promotion and development of the blueberry industry and promotion of blueberries both within New Zealand and overseas.
The blueberry industry has been established for over two decades in New Zealand and is currently in a phase of growth. This growth has been particularly encouraged by significant positive research about the health benefits of blueberries.
Currently there are approximately 60 grower members, 13 exporter members and 10 associate members. There is around 400 hectares of blueberries currently planted or being planted at present. Traditionally most plantings have been in the Waikato and Hawkes Bay but new areas in the Far North and South Island are now being planted.
BBNZ consists of grower members, exporter members and associate members:
- Grower members are commercial growers of blueberries who harvested and sold at least 500kgs of blueberries in the previous year and paid the appropriate levies, Grower Registration Form
- Exporter members are those who have paid the appropriate annual exporter registration fee which for the current year is $250 + GST, Exporter Registration Form
- Associate members are interested parties who have paid the annual associate registration fee which for the current year is $100 + GST. Associate Member Registration Form
BBNZ is governed by an elected Executive consisting of:
- five grower members:
- three exporter members
- two representing exporters of fresh blueberries
- one representing exporters of frozen blueberries
All members of the Executive are elected for a period of two years.
The day to day business of BBNZ is carried out by Administrator, Samantha Thorburn
Sam’s contact details are:
Blueberries New Zealand Inc.
021 304 466